Monday, August 04, 2008

Land of Lincoln

I have arrived. After four days of driving eight-plus hours a day with an angry cat in my lap, I finally made it to my new home in Illinois. Two books on tape and NPR got me through, as did the encouraging texts and calls from friends and family (thanks KJ, SP, DD!). The apartment is very large--nearly twice the size of what I had in SB. It's a one bedroom with all sorts of great amenities: full size washer/dryer in a utility room, vaulted ceiling and a ceiling fan, a storage area off the balcony (the balcony alone is the size of my old bedroom in SB), garbage disposal, dishwasher, full sized fridge with ice maker, a door on the bathroom (!) and a ton of storage between three closets and a pantry. Amazing, really. Too bad I don't have anything to put in it. I left most of my big pieces--couch, book shelves, futon, dresser--in SB with Goodwill or people willing to take it off my hands from Craigslist. I had this great idea that I would buy all new things once I arrived. But I forgot that things cost money--something I don't have much of these days. That will change once school starts. Speaking of, I made my first trip to campus today (about fifteen minutes down a 30 MPH road) and picked up my faculty ID and purchased a parking pass. I've also met with two colleagues for dinner, one Saturday night and the other last night. Plus I have two lunch dates and a third pending for this week. So I've got the whole social aspect of relocating under control. Other than finish unpacking (ten boxes to go) and other settling in rituals, I plan to join a gym and purchase a couch and a grill within the next few weeks. I also want to become a regular at the Saturday farmer's market. All this with time. Here are some pictures from the trip for those who have not seen them yet...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home