The Midnight Band and Special Guest...
Rejoice!! I left my apartment past nine pm on a weekend! Saturday night I went to see The Midnight Band, my favorite local group who does great R&B/Classic MoTown covers (signed, sealed, delivered--I'm yours...R-E-S-P-E-C-T...), at the you-cannot-get-in-unless-you-were-born-before-1960 nightclub SoHo. I convinced some friends to meet me there to dance our pants off and, pardon the pun, sweat to the oldies. (Ha!) I boogied with the best of 'em, right up by the stage and flirted with the 50-something black man who plays the harmonica like it's a woman and he's been without companionship for a while. And he sings like Ray. Do you follow me?
Anyway, I'm dancing, sweating, shouting, flirting and then a goofy looking white dude takes the stage and the crowd does bananas. Someone behind me shouts, "Kenny!! Woohoo!" So he starts singing along with the lead soul girls and people are fucking clawing over me to take my place by the stage. Turns out this "Kenny" man is the famous eighties movie soundtrack king and SB local, Kenny Loggins. So I figured, why not throw myself at him like the rest of the class-act honeys? Sure, I went along for the ride.
He was a bit strange, the kind of strange like his hearing is damn near lost so he has to put his index finger in one ear and squint his eyes and hunch over while singing to really "feel" the music. Well, there were only sixty people in the club and the music was plenty loud. Before I completely trash this man, I will admit that "Danny's Song" is probably in my top ten fav tunes of all time, so he's not THAT bad. I never did find out if he was there randomly or if it was a planned sighting. He was in jeans and a tshirt though, so it couldn't have been a career appearance. Either way, another boring night out in SB. ;) Dancing, famous people, and I was sober the entire time. Not too shabby.
Anyway, I'm dancing, sweating, shouting, flirting and then a goofy looking white dude takes the stage and the crowd does bananas. Someone behind me shouts, "Kenny!! Woohoo!" So he starts singing along with the lead soul girls and people are fucking clawing over me to take my place by the stage. Turns out this "Kenny" man is the famous eighties movie soundtrack king and SB local, Kenny Loggins. So I figured, why not throw myself at him like the rest of the class-act honeys? Sure, I went along for the ride.
He was a bit strange, the kind of strange like his hearing is damn near lost so he has to put his index finger in one ear and squint his eyes and hunch over while singing to really "feel" the music. Well, there were only sixty people in the club and the music was plenty loud. Before I completely trash this man, I will admit that "Danny's Song" is probably in my top ten fav tunes of all time, so he's not THAT bad. I never did find out if he was there randomly or if it was a planned sighting. He was in jeans and a tshirt though, so it couldn't have been a career appearance. Either way, another boring night out in SB. ;) Dancing, famous people, and I was sober the entire time. Not too shabby.

5 Comments:
see?
all my weekends i spent in SB, and i just spent it on DP walking around with a bunch of drunk frat boys.
uch! i miss everything, i swear!
Meanwhile, what I wouldn't give for a nice, grounded, midwestern guy in kahki pants and a horizontally striped polo shirt. *sigh!*
Interesting, that's exactly what I'm wearing today. But I'm in the mountains, sorry. :)
Russ, Sounds sexy...LOL!
i'll take the guy in jeans and a punk rock t-shirt..please :)
Post a Comment
<< Home