Friday, April 07, 2006

Under Cover Pussy

Soon to be released. From being under cover, that is. This is yet another story about my neighbors and their animals and my desire to have one too, which is ultimately trumped by my do-right moral fiber. A few months back, my pseudo-pet cat, Ichus--who was really owned by the couple next door--found her way to the great litter box in the sky. I feel that I am now ready to move forward and welcome a new pound purry into my life. However, there remains the "rule" in my apartment complex that one can not own, have, rent, borrow or even think of any of the above in reference to a pet. If you're caught with an animal that can't survive under water for more than fifteen minutes, you're given three days to remove said animal and pay a fine _or_ are simply evicted. However, there are *four* cats that I know of in the area who's owners remain happily housed and are under no threat of the boot. And here is why:

Cat 1: Belongs to the daughter of the complex's maintenance man--if you're "in" with the landlord, you are exempt from the pet rule...? Kitty greets me every morning by sending a silent "meow" through the window.
Cat 2: Belongs to the old lady who has lived here--with her cat--forever. This kitty has been grandfathered-in, so I hear.
Cat 3: Was the neighborhood stray, but was recently adopted by the old lady. Old lady now has two cats.
Cat 4: Owned by the tenant on the first floor who's blue bed sheet of a curtain does not stop the adorable Siamese from sitting on the inside ledge and people watching.

So the great debate among the immediate neighbor to my right, my friends and my family...should I risk it or not? The plot thickens, as I have already asked for permission to have a cat and was turned down. I've also developed a "trusted" relationship with the landlord and have parking privileges and a johnny-on-the-spot plumber (Cat #1's grand-dad) to prove it. Several stealth plans have been proposed, but I can't seem to decide what to do. I'm super jealous of the under cover pussy in each apartment and want them made public. But that's not nice. I wouldn't want to be tattled on if I did get a cat. If anyone has any ideas, I am open, as living alone is hard enough and talking to a cat would be easy to overlook, more so than my current self-talk.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hootah said...

When I read the comment, I was surprised that my mother wasn't the poster. She'd like that one!

12:04 AM  
Blogger Hootah said...

Good call. But what happens when the super sees the litter box, etc. when he comes in to fix the leaky pipes I complained about six months ago? Oh the many webs we weave.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Hootah said...

Very true. Logic always seems to win.

4:40 PM  
Blogger DeepItalianEyes said...

Im new to bloggin and stumbled across yours. My suggestion is to deny deny deny deny. As for the PJ's being shredded? A little to much rubbing the crotch area? LOL

6:59 AM  
Blogger Hootah said...

Deep Eyes--why would I rub ON the fabric when I can just as easily rub UNDER? Thanks for the comment! ;)

6:56 PM  
Blogger Russ in Wy said...

Since you've already asked if you can have one and been denied, I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea at all. Had you not asked, you could beg forgiveness and plead ignorance or something. But now the cat's out of the bag, so to speak. You're stuck, unless you turn on the charm or find another place. Perhaps an Aibo might fill the void?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Hootah said...

Russy--thanks for the input. I agree that in asking for purrmission (forgive me...) I screwed myself. Damn my sense of right and wrong!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home