Friday, July 07, 2006

Asshole Drivers

I use my mirrors while driving. A lot. And I've come to know this through the absence of one such tool, the passenger side mirror. I look at it several times a minute while driving and see nothing but mechanical bits left in a gaping hole. Each time this occurs, I get pissed, because it reminds me, over and over, that other people are asshole drivers.

Last week I was driving back up to my house from a day at the beach. I was at a stop sign and went to make my right hand turn when a fucking retarded bastard came sca-reaming down the street toward me, taking up all the pavement (side note--the street is one of the old town ones and is super thin to begin with and the city allows parking on both sides, making it literally impossible for two SUVs to pass at the same time). I inched to the right. Normally, no damage would have been done, but another asshole had parked his car along the road right by the corner. So when I turned right, in an effort to not crash head-on to the ass-eater coming down the street, I moved two inches over and hit the parked car.

I about shit my pants. I thought I was dead and had killed about eight other people in the process. It made a startling BOOM followed by a horrible crunching noise and glass breaking. I pulled over, yelling fuckfuckfuck to myself and surveyed the damage. I was okay. I don't hear screaming from under my car. My windows were all intact. But the passenger-side mirror was on the ground in a heap. Why the window didn't break, I don't know, but who cares.

I got out and tried to figure what the hell I had hit. I looked at each car parked along the street and each had windows and mirrors. Turns out I had grazed one car's driver-side mirror, causing my passenger-side mirror to fold in (which it is supposed to, like when you go to the car wash and need to fold them in...). The pressure broke the mirror part off, but the actual mirror "container" if you will is still on the car. I must say I'm very, very happy that that is _all_ that was damaged. But replacing it will be no picnic, as it's one of those special electric self-defrost thingies. My estimate is at least one hunskie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home