Friday, August 12, 2005

Second Year Project

I think I may have really, truly, finally started my second year project. (I made a folder for it, at the very least, and that MUST count for something!) For those outside the thick and well-guarded walls of academe, this "project" is one of four or so milestones required of students in my program to advance toward candidacy. As the creative title suggests, the research and resulting paper should be completed in one's second year of study. However, I have chosen to change my project focus half a dozen times bringing me to where I am now--the start of my third year. Ah, how times flies.

"And what, dear scholar, are you pretending to study now," I hear my colleagues ask? I will be researching three major institutions' teacher preparation programs with a keen eye toward secondary English teachers and the required courses asked of them that are focused on methods of teaching writing. A mouthful, I know. I'm using this post as a venue to explore the wording. Feedback is welcome. Anyway, I'm thinking my three schools will include a UC (traditionally known for research), a CSU (aka--Cal State, traditionally known for teaching) and a private institution (Cal Lutheran, Westmont, etc., traditionally know for...well...being private...). This will give me a wide spectrum of teacher education theories--if you will--and approaches. Then I might compare these institutions' requirements and offerings with the state's standards for TEP (teacher education program) accredidation and general NCTE (National Council for Teachers of English) professional guidelines, expectations, etc.

I'm hoping this work (if ever started, let alone completed) will roll over into a dissertation by the year 2020, which will be when I'll owe the government nearly half a million dollars in financial aid payments. **heavy sigh** Like I said earlier, any ideas from friends or family or randoms is welcome. Although I must say that positive feedback is preferable, as my ego is fragile these days when it comes to school stuff...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home