June 08?
I'm afraid. There! I said it!! I'm scared that I'm not going to complete my program by next summer. When I began this Charlie Foxtrot called the PhD, my mantra was "done by thirty-one." That gives me until June 2008; plenty of time. But in the last year or so, I've gotten the idea that I can finished by next June, thus, a year earlier than planned. This was most likely the result of spending a year teaching and researching and writing and little else. I have lots of time and therefore, can easily compose a book or two. The thought process was something like this...Anne did it. She also planned a wedding, nursed her near-death mother for over a month, actually _got_ married, found a kick-ass job, headed a research team, did a bunch of super-cool side jobs for even cooler people AND wrote a dissertation. All _I_ have to do is write. No problemo!
Well, not quite. You see, I don't drink jet fuel for breakfast like my role model does. I'm thinking I have to give up the dream and realize that although I am cool, I'm not rock-star status like Anne. This isn't to say I'm throwing in the towel all together. This just means that I'm biting the bullet and sacking up for two more years in SB. I know, I know. You can think of worse fates. But I'm feeling a bit, failure-ish about it all. For now, I'm going to continue my studies under the guise that I will finish in June oh seven. That way, I won't completely feel defeated and if I do decide I need more time, I'll have it. Words of encouragement from the peanut gallery are welcome.
Well, not quite. You see, I don't drink jet fuel for breakfast like my role model does. I'm thinking I have to give up the dream and realize that although I am cool, I'm not rock-star status like Anne. This isn't to say I'm throwing in the towel all together. This just means that I'm biting the bullet and sacking up for two more years in SB. I know, I know. You can think of worse fates. But I'm feeling a bit, failure-ish about it all. For now, I'm going to continue my studies under the guise that I will finish in June oh seven. That way, I won't completely feel defeated and if I do decide I need more time, I'll have it. Words of encouragement from the peanut gallery are welcome.

4 Comments:
Derek, you'll be 31 at the end of the week, or will have reached the five year mark? I'm confused. But we all know that. Only a confused person would leave a good job with a bright future to pursue another graduate degree. Dur.
You are _so_ right!! Oh, and happy birthday! ;)
You know you're a serious graduate student when you can't remember your own damned birthday...
Err...age.
Post a Comment
<< Home