Thursday, May 04, 2006

Top Five Reasons Staying in School...

Top Five Reasons Staying in School Another Year is Good:

1) When I finally do go out on the job market, I will have DIH--dissertation in hand--which is worth two birds in a bush. Really though, it makes me a better pick 'cause my shits together.
2) Waiting another year gives me the time to write a quality dissertation. If I rush to complete by next June, I would probably cut corners, leaving me with a shoddy foundation for future research.
3) Time would allow for completion of the diss AND possible publications. If I don't have anything in print, I would surely have articles in the review process. Again, impressive to employers.
4) Speaking of rushing (see #2), the work I would have to do in order to finish in one year would require that I reprioritize, leaving sleep, nutrition and general good health out of the picture. Notice I didn't mention my mental state, because those who know me well know they'd be visiting me and Nurse Ratched after six months of the grind. And I would probably risk desk sores, the researcher's equivalent to bed sores, which develop from lack of movement.
5) Outside of the work load, staying in SB an extra year would afford me one more UCSB Arts and Lecture series, another season of SB Bowl concerts, another Summer Solstice (celebrated in the park across the street), another snow-free winter (accept for this freak storm), another chance to see the local spots I haven't yet seen and...well...another chance to say I'm going to check out all those neat things and NOT because I'm too damned busy with school. But at least I'll have that chance!

(Special thanks to list contributors: A.W., PhD; A.B.P., ABD; A.B. 2nd yr. PhD student)

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Huginkiss said...

You are making the right decision. You are going to do great things. You are woman, hear you roar.

That is all.

Dr. H

6:42 PM  
Blogger Hootah said...

Purr...?

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home