Sunday, July 16, 2006

Garage Sale and Steak

Yesterday was the W's garage sale. They leave in a few days for PA and needed one last push to get rid of stuff. ASB and JB were there to help and we all brought some of our own crap to sell. I was able to get rid of my old TV (the one from college that sometimes made the high-pitched buzzing noise), a coffee maker, some dishes, two cute lamps (that I got for free anyway) and a few bags of clothes. The idea was to move the merchandise, not make a profit, so I walked away with only thirty bucks. But then I bought the W's premarriage silverware. It's a name brand matching set and I couldn't resist--the spoons actually curve-in unlike my current collection. What a treat to get some milk with my cereal.

When mid-afternoon rolled around and the heat set in, we started to close up shop and schlep our leftovers a block up to the Goodwill. When the SB "Eagle" club--which I think is really a private bar with a "chapter number" to appear legit--saw us in action, they volunteered to take our things for their own charity. How perfect! They backed a pickup into the driveway, packed up the remnants and drove it away leaving the W's with a three hundred dollar tax write-off. I love it.

As a thank you, JW took all five of us out to a fancy dinner over the hill. (His former students--some the children of foreign dignitaries and oil barons--had lavished him with gift certificates over the years as tokens of thanks). To Mattei's Tavern we went and enjoyed steak, seafood, fabulous wine and desserts. It was a beautiful night after the sun dipped so we sat outside to watch dusk sneak in. Then we were home and in bed by ten. And with less shit in my apartment and a fat roll of singles in my pocket, I'd say the day was just about perfect!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Huginkiss said...

That sounds lovely!

I'll be holding out a good thought for the new PSU-ers.

Hope you are well!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home