Friday, August 19, 2005

What the Hell?

Ok folks. Here I am procrastinating yet again. Instead of correcting student papers (sorry BIP kids--your writing is killing me slowly) or working on my latest research (Monica--promise to be done by 10am for coffee mtg), I'm playing on the net. Yes, I admit it. I know it's problematic, but I do still shower regularly, report for work on time and have a smidgen of a life.

Anyway, I'd like to have a little moment for reflection on what others are posting online. I went to craigslist.com, one of my favorite haunts, and for fun, checked out the personals. One man has posted a call to women to "make him legal." Hmmm. Tempting, but no. Another asks, "got cute feet?" For those who don't know me well, I wear a size 11, which--I'm sure--knocks me out of the running there (no pun intended). Then there is "drunk, fat and lazy..", or something to that effect, and the picture that accompanies the post is of a six-pack baring charmer. But who posts their real mug online? And to confirm the rumors, the likeness I've posted is not my own. Duh. But to say I didn't drop him a hello would be a lie...

And how 'bout those other blogs? If you coast through the offerings, you'll find titles like, "fff ddd ggg." What's that shit?! Or "getridofdebtnow," or "viagra" with a listing of all the websites you can possibly want to find it. Then you have the quote "real" blogs where people like me post their poetically forlorn writing. No thanks. This is not to say that my blog is the shit, it's just that I want to read something interesting. To have an outlet like this and use it to advertise or write haikus about demonic possession (unless it's hysterically funny) seems a loss.

I'll dismount my high horse now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a 10 am meeting and i'm not invited??? i'm offended.
jf

2:49 PM  
Blogger Hootah said...

Every Thursday, 10am, Starbucks in the Costco center by campus. Two neurotic girls pretending to be proactive with their studies.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home