A More Reasonable Option
Applying for the job at UVI was a long shot. A more reasonable option has surfaced and how it came along is amusing. Last month I was on a campus visit when a snow storm left me stranded for several days in middle America. During my lock down in a Best Western, I received an email (thank God for free wireless!) from a school whose home state begins with an "I." Although they did not say it, the message indicated that they had gone through all of their candidates and everyone either didn't fit the bill or rejected the school's offer. Now desperation had sent them my way and would I be interested in the position if their final candidate bailed like the others? I expressed my great interest and for the past five weeks I've sent them weekly emails reminding them of this. Sure enough, their last choice turned down the offer and now my number is up. Kind of like, "we found your application materials at the bottom of the shredder and were able to tape together your information and by the process of elimination have determined your correct phone number and now we're calling to see if you'd like to be our friend." Hell, I'll take it! The program is a good one and the department seems strong, plus they have a NWP site, which is the icing on the cake for me. I will be flying out for a campus interview with "I" at the end of March and am hoping for an offer, which I'd take in a red hot second. In the meantime, I dissertate like mad!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home