The Game
I heart bargain shopping. Anyone close to me knows "the game," that I insist we play after a good day of cheap finds. Today, we will play a mild version of the game.
Background: I have unusually large feet (size 11) and it is difficult for me to find shoes, especially specific colors and brands. So when I find what I'm searching for and it's on sale, I become very giddy and force the game on loved-ones.
I've been wanting a pair of off-white casual shoes since I saw my shoe-whore metrosexual friend (shout out to JF) sport a similar set. I found what I wanted on the Nordstrom website, as they usually carry women's shoes in size "gargantor," but the price for my budget-minded self was steep--eighty-four bucks! That's like, five hours of spa treatments in Thailand!! I gave up. That is, until I saw the identical pair at The Rack for less! And a smudge on the leather counted for another 10% discount at the register! And here goes the game...
I approach you with glassy eyes and a shopping bag...
Me: GUESS what I paid.....for THESE!
(I show you the goods)
You: Um...so if the original price was $85, you got them for $75?
(Good players of the game always start high)
Me: NO!!! Lower!!!
You: Ok, how 'bout $65?
(Going down in five or ten dollar increments is smart)
Me: NO!!! Even LOWER!!! (I begin jumping up and down with excitement)
You: Wow. Maybe $50?
(Signs of disbelief by the player are always appreciated)
Me: Better...!
(I am now clapping my hands)
You: $45 AT LEAST!!?!
(This is where you begin to think no merchant could possibly sell something for this cheap)
Me: Ha ha! Guess again!!
(I am frothing at the mouth)
You: Fine. This is crazy talk. $35....my last offer.
(You shake your head like I've lost my mind and am telling stories of madness)
Me: NO!!!! Thirty bucks!!! Can you BELIEVE IT??!??
(I shout this out as if I am announcing the birth of Christ)
You: Shut up. No way. That's crazy. Thirty dollars for THOSE? But they're so CUUUUTTEE!!
(You are in shock...)
Me: I KNOW!! How cool is that???
(We hold hands and do the happy dance...)

The Goods!
DIESEL Sneaker (Women)
"Stylish, sporty lace-up boasts a low-profile silhouette, enhanced with decorative stitching. A mix of tumbled leather and suede offers textural interest, while a breathable anti-microbial footbed ensures comfortable all-day wear."
I'd like to thank my mother, the ultimate bargain shopper, for the skills she passed down on how to get cool shit for less. I must note, however, that this does not outshine my prom shoe story and that, indeed, thirty dollars is not all that cheap. That is why I suggested this as a mild version of the game. It's the thrill of the hunt and the fact that I didn't even pay for the shoes anyway--I used a gift certificate. Take that!
Background: I have unusually large feet (size 11) and it is difficult for me to find shoes, especially specific colors and brands. So when I find what I'm searching for and it's on sale, I become very giddy and force the game on loved-ones.
I've been wanting a pair of off-white casual shoes since I saw my shoe-whore metrosexual friend (shout out to JF) sport a similar set. I found what I wanted on the Nordstrom website, as they usually carry women's shoes in size "gargantor," but the price for my budget-minded self was steep--eighty-four bucks! That's like, five hours of spa treatments in Thailand!! I gave up. That is, until I saw the identical pair at The Rack for less! And a smudge on the leather counted for another 10% discount at the register! And here goes the game...
I approach you with glassy eyes and a shopping bag...
Me: GUESS what I paid.....for THESE!
(I show you the goods)
You: Um...so if the original price was $85, you got them for $75?
(Good players of the game always start high)
Me: NO!!! Lower!!!
You: Ok, how 'bout $65?
(Going down in five or ten dollar increments is smart)
Me: NO!!! Even LOWER!!! (I begin jumping up and down with excitement)
You: Wow. Maybe $50?
(Signs of disbelief by the player are always appreciated)
Me: Better...!
(I am now clapping my hands)
You: $45 AT LEAST!!?!
(This is where you begin to think no merchant could possibly sell something for this cheap)
Me: Ha ha! Guess again!!
(I am frothing at the mouth)
You: Fine. This is crazy talk. $35....my last offer.
(You shake your head like I've lost my mind and am telling stories of madness)
Me: NO!!!! Thirty bucks!!! Can you BELIEVE IT??!??
(I shout this out as if I am announcing the birth of Christ)
You: Shut up. No way. That's crazy. Thirty dollars for THOSE? But they're so CUUUUTTEE!!
(You are in shock...)
Me: I KNOW!! How cool is that???
(We hold hands and do the happy dance...)

The Goods!
DIESEL Sneaker (Women)
"Stylish, sporty lace-up boasts a low-profile silhouette, enhanced with decorative stitching. A mix of tumbled leather and suede offers textural interest, while a breathable anti-microbial footbed ensures comfortable all-day wear."
I'd like to thank my mother, the ultimate bargain shopper, for the skills she passed down on how to get cool shit for less. I must note, however, that this does not outshine my prom shoe story and that, indeed, thirty dollars is not all that cheap. That is why I suggested this as a mild version of the game. It's the thrill of the hunt and the fact that I didn't even pay for the shoes anyway--I used a gift certificate. Take that!

1 Comments:
i'm the same way with my designer who obession.
for some reason it makes it that much easier when the shoe was originally 1250..and you get it for 550....even though i know that's a shitload of money.
ps: the bathrooms in thailand were a dream come true after the bathrooms in china. after 3 months in china, i will NEVER bitch about another truck-stop bathroom again.
Post a Comment
<< Home