Monday, May 15, 2006

TV, Addiction and Reality

I'm not a huge TV watcher. I mean, I'm not devoted to any series. I browse the channels when I'm bored and will stop for a makeover session on Discovery Health or educational clip on the History Channel. I like Oprah but can easily live without. Lost, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, eh. Take it or leave it.

However, I have been addicted to television shows in the past. It began with General Hospital, which conveniently started right when I got home from school. Plus my mother watched it obsessively, to the point that she has recorded and watched every episode since the early 80s. I got on a GH kick and was a devoted fan until a main character, Stone, was killed off. He died a slow and painful death from AIDS. I was devastated. I gave up the soap for good. Then came ER. Again, I watched faithfully in the comfort of my college dorm room until one of the main characters unexpectedly died. I have since forgotten his name, but it was the young black doctor who was struck by the subway train and when they brought his unidentifiable and mangled body to the ER, his pager went off and they figured out who it was. Open-mouthed shock! Such tragedy!! I cried over that one for a few days. Then swore off ER forever.

Now it's Grey's Anatomy. I admit, I'm addicted. It's to the point that I will cut dinner dates short so that I'm home by nine on Sundays. I won't answer my phone and have delayed bathroom breaks just to catch the opening scene. Since the episode when Meredith took the bomb out of that one guy's body cavity, I've been hooked.

Which leads to tonight. Tonight was the much anticipated season finale. In total, it was three hours of nail biting drama, complete with sex, love, deceit, death and sobbing. I know those who read this entry think I'm nuts. I may be. I'm a full time grad student--I deserve some time with the idiot box. So I clung to my throw pillows and sobbed into the blanket on my couch when Denny died. Oh My God. And when Izzie curled up with his lifeless body and Alex had to carry her away? AHhhhh! Pain in my heart people!!! I get stuck between the world of TV and reality. I gnash my teeth and tear my clothes in sorrow for these characters. I smile, wipe a tear and cock my head at the TV contentedly when these characters fall in love.

Does this make me a bad person? Am I out of touch with the truth? Have I sold my soul to the devil that is television? I am now going to splash cold water on my face and hope I don't wake up with puffy frog eyes. Rest in peace Denny: Season One-Season Two.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hootah said...

Will--if ABC loves me, that is all that matters!
Wendy--looking forward to renting season two this summer!

Thanks for the comments. :)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Dr. Huginkiss said...

A few things:

1) Omar Epps' character on ER was named Dr. Gant. Didn't even have to look that up, such a devoted fan am I!

2) Never saw an episode of Grey's until Monday when my sister came over to watch Sunday's ep, which I had recorded for her. I was interested, and so casually decided to tune in for the finale later that night, conveniently just in time to see Patrick Dempsey positively SMOLDERING on my TV screen during his (very hot for network television, I thought -- no panties?!) love scene with Meredith. Good lord, that man has aged well. *swoon*

3) Once I saw that, I had to watch the rest of the ep. Don't know much about Izzie & Alex, but presume from what I saw that (a) they have a past and (b) Alex is a cad-with-a-heart-of-gold. I actually got choked up when he was cradling Izzie after Denny died. So sweet! Now I just might have to queue up Seasons 1&2 on NetFlix to catch up this summer!

4) Finally, you are totally within the bounds of normal television viewership, IMO. This from someone who has only missed a handful of ER eps in TWELVE years, and who exhibits an unhealthy obsession with just about every one of her favorite TV shows... : )

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home