Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Monday, Monday

A throw back to the Mommas and the Pappas for you. The weather has finally made a turn. It rained like crazy October-style on Sunday. Very, very rare for May in SB. The threat of sliding off into the ocean is at its highest in the winter. What the hell, really. Today I'm looking at blue skies and warm temps in the 60/70s. And wouldn't you know I'll be spending six hours of it inside a classroom. Boo. I'd take the BIP kids on a field trip to the out-of-doors but they are such a group of cocky, lackluster bums that I'd rather torture myself with three hours in a windowless room than grant them such a pleasure. Bastards. Forgive me, but I've spent the weekend grading their papers. I need to vent. To say that the writing is poor would be an understatement. But the best part is that in their self-reviews (I make them reflect on their writing process and use the assignment's rubric to grade themselves) they're giving themselves As!! Seriously my darlings. Who are you kidding? Not me. I've been blessed for the last few sessions to have fabulous groups of students. They were not only somewhat invested in improving their writing skills (as much as a classroom of 20 photographers can be) but they were FUN to teach! That's half the battle. Getting through a course that no one wants to be a part of--but me--is significantly less painful when the group dynamics are favorable. Anyway, I know I'm being mean. Not all classes can be gems. *sigh* Now that I have that off my chest, I feel like I can go work in a better mood. Speaking of, class starts at 12:45 and I am still marinating in my personal dirtiness. Off to the shower.

Ed Note: Dammit!! In the shower I decided to apologize to you, oh readership, for the nastiness that was shared in my earlier post. I am not the snotty beast of instruction that I must have portrayed. I recognize that as a teacher, it is my job to help my students, not make fun of them or bitch about their lack of skill. If anyone needs writing assistance, it's me, as demonstrated by the nine-month time lapse in getting my independent research project written and approved. Hello--it took me over seven drafts. Gah! I chide myself for the earlier complaints. Indeed, I love what I do, for better or worse. *slinking away in shame*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home