Monday, May 22, 2006

Wrong Number

I received the most bizarre voice mail this morning that I must share with you. First, a bit of background info about my communication device. A) I have a very distinct phone number. I'm often asked, "Did you request that?" or "Ever think of changing it?" Why does it raise eyebrows? It contains the stamp of the devil. And no, I didn't ask for it. B) I only have one phone--a mobile. There isn't much of a need for a landline these days, with DSL for the net and all. So my one method of verbal communication accompanies me everywhere. The point to this is that I'm the only one who uses it. Unless, of course, someone has hacked into my cell service or snuck into my back pocket when I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, this is all relevant information to my story.

Around eight thirty I heard my phone vibrating its way across the living room. Usually the only people who call that early are my mom or AW, both of whom have interesting things to relay. I bound to the phone only to find a strange number on the screen. Sadly, I have no life and few friends, meaning when the phone rings, one of maybe seven names pop up, and when they don't, and I get just a number, I won't answer. It's a control thing. Anyway, the weird number person was sent to voicemail, which I checked immediately after they hung up. And I get (roughly) the following message:

"Hi Wendy, this is Shelly. I just had a question. Um, just one question I needed an answer to. Uh, I just wanted to know if you guys actually did break up in March when you got back from Vegas like he said you did. And if not, what he told you was his reason for coming home for those few days. I think that will help me make my decision. Um, I still want to talk to you. If you want me to come down earlier than Wednesday, I can take off work. Uh, I also really appreciate you listening to me when I called the other night. I wish I had had the courage to talk to you earlier. I think it would have saved us both a lot of pain and a lot of heartache. So, uh, call me back when you have a chance. Thanks."

Uh...okay....? I also have a text message from the strange number saying, "Please call me. Thank you." It seems to me that the issue is a serious one. I'm guessing there has been some cheating, some lying, some chatting amongst wives and mistresses. And here I have this heart-wrenching voicemail, obviously left to the wrong person. I am not Wendy. I have not been to Vegas. I'm not sleeping with a married man. In fact, I'm not sleeping with anyone, sadly. And I think, if I were Shelly, I would want to know that I had just poured my heart out to a stranger's voicemail. So I call her back. Yes, I called Shelly and explained that I thought she'd like to know that her message did not get to this Wendy lady, that I was Sarah, as the outgoing message to my voicemail confirmed, and I hoped she got her situation worked out. I hung up feeling like I had done the right thing.

Then the phone rings. It's Shelly.

Shelly: "So, um, do you know Wendy? Because I looked back in my phone and this was the number I called when I talked to Wendy."
Me: "Nope. I don't know a Wendy. And the only person who uses this phone is me. Just me."
Shelly: "Are you sure? Because I swear this was the number I called."
Me: "Uh, yeah. Just me. This is a cell phone and it pretty much goes with me everywhere. I'm the only one who uses it. Sorry."
Shelly: "Okay. You see, my husband is cheating on me and I'm trying to work this thing out. I appreciate you calling me."
Me: "Sure. I just thought, if it were me, I'd want to know that Wendy didn't get the message."
Shelly: "Well thanks."
Me: "Yeah. Good luck working this thing out."

Seriously. How random is this whole thing? I saved her voicemail and listened to it again because the whole thing is so weird. Infidelity is an odd duck. I mean, there is a marriage involved, and maybe kids. It's easy to say kick the bastard to the street. But I'm not in the mess with them. Who is to say it couldn't be worked out?

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Huginkiss said...

This is why we are such good friends. I had a similar experience not long ago, wherein I received a message from an elderly woman thanking me for something that the person for whom she mistook me had done for her. I totally could have just let it go, but instead felt compelled to call her back to let her know that the intended recipeient of her message did not get to hear her say "thank you". I also do this when doctor's offices have the wrong number and call to confirm an appointment for someone else on my voice mail. You did the right thing, Sarah!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home